Tuesday 7 February 2023

Lawyer fatally shot after allegedly breaking into Texas home, making death threats, charging at homeowner

 A lawyer was fatally shot over the weekend after allegedly breaking into a Texas home, making death threats, and charging at the homeowner, KTRK-TV reported.

What are the details?

Deputies with the Smith County Sheriff's Office responded to a suspicious-person call at a home on Treasure Cove near Bullard in Tyler around 11:30 a.m. Saturday, the station said.

Deputies en route reportedly learned that the suspect confronted the homeowners after getting inside the residence and insisted that the homeowner's truck belonged to him, KTRK reported.

After using force to remove the suspect from his house, deputies told KTRK the homeowner locked the door.

Deputies added to the station that soon the homeowner went outside with a shotgun to check on his truck.

KTRK said that's when the suspect — identified as Mark Anthony Correro, a 50-year-old Houston lawyer — returned to the property. Houston is nearly 200 miles south of Tyler.

The homeowner noted to investigators that he told Correro authorities were on their way and to sit down, the station said.

“The homeowner believed the suspect was having a mental episode, as he was shouting an unknown female’s name," the sheriff's office said in a statement to KYTX-TV, adding that during this time the homeowner’s fiancée came outside.

"Her presence seemed to agitate the suspect, and he came toward them aggressively," the sheriff's office added to KYTX. "The homeowner warned the suspect several times to stop walking toward them, or he would shoot. The suspect refused and made death threats toward them."

The suspect then charged toward the homeowner and his fiancée, the sheriff's office noted, adding that's when the homeowner shot the suspect once in the chest.

When deputies arrived, Correro was found unconscious in the front yard, KTRK said, after which deputies began CPR.

Arriving paramedics pronounced Correro dead at the scene, KTRK said.

A justice of the peace Pct. 2 arrived at the scene and ordered an autopsy, KYTX said.

Both stations said the investigation is ongoing.

The sheriff's office told TheBlaze late Monday afternoon the case will be presented to the county district attorney to determine if any charges will be filed.

Post a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search