Thursday, 11 April 2019

Fury as Facebook brands photo of Alton Towers crash victim Vicky Balch as 'disturbing' then BLOCKS disability campaigner's page for featuring it

Facebook blocked a disability campaigner's page after they said he had shared a 'disturbing' photo of Alton Towers crash survivor Vicky Balch.
Simon Sansome runs Disability Access and says he shared the picture of the 23-year-old in a nude pose almost three years ago as an example of great bravery to disabled women.
But Mr Sansome - who uses a wheelchair after a rugby accident - said the empowering photograph led to his page being blocked to new users.
When he phoned the tech giant to question the decision he says a Facebook employee told him over the phone it would be 'disturbing' for some users. 

Vicky Balch, 23, appearing on an episode of ITV's This Morning to speak about her ordeal in July 2016
Vicky Balch, 23, appearing on an episode of ITV's This Morning to speak about her ordeal in July 2016

Mr Sansome's page shares inspirational stories for disabled people, including photos, videos and advice - he said he recorded his call with Facebook because nobody would have believed it otherwise.
Mr Sansome is barred from inviting new members to like his page. 
Miss Balch has previously spoken of her struggles with body confidence in the years since the accident but has modelled in various shoots as part of her recovery.
Last year after a shoot, Miss Balch said: 'Body confidence was a big issue for me when my life changed and I am now learning to love who I am even though it is different to what, even I used to consider as "normal."'

Post a comment

Start typing and press Enter to search